[GAME]: The Demon (Demonio)

Projects in Development.

Re: [GAME]: The Demon (Demonio) - 1st reupload

Postby Sempiternam » Thu Nov 19, 2009 2:17 am

Hello people.

Thanks to those who checked the code and those who want to see more code coming on.

There are the new Rar files uploaded. The first post will be edited to put new files and new versions of those that are there.

"Demonio" was the original name for this game but if you think 'The Demon' is a better one it will be. I put Demonio because of the 8 characters for DIV2 on MS-DOS, that's because files has the 8th character for a number version.

An old deleted version had music.
I will be working on playing code before add some soundfx and music. Balancing enemies is next step, then will be scrolling.

First I need to know what is happening with memory when the game is running (game moving slow - progressive memory error I think).

See you next time. Thanks for everything.

PD: I want to do something with this project, may be then I'll continue another.
Last edited by Sempiternam on Thu Nov 19, 2009 7:54 am, edited 2 times in total.
Sempiternam
Sempiternam

Re: [GAME]: The Demon (Demonio)

Postby Dluk » Thu Nov 19, 2009 3:23 am

Well, man, we'll be waiting your games! Hope the best with your projects :)

Regards
"El destino es como un juego... ¿No? Y ahora, esperas mi último movimiento"

Kain - Legacy of Kain: Soul Reaver
Dluk

Re: [GAME]: The Demon (Demonio) - 1st reupload

Postby CicTec » Thu Nov 19, 2009 10:27 am

Sempiternam wrote:Hello people.

Thanks to those who checked the code and those who want to see more code coming on.

There are the new Rar files uploaded. The first post will be edited to put new files and new versions of those that are there.

"Demonio" was the original name for this game but if you think 'The Demon' is a better one it will be. I put Demonio because of the 8 characters for DIV2 on MS-DOS, that's because files has the 8th character for a number version.

An old deleted version had music.
I will be working on playing code before add some soundfx and music. Balancing enemies is next step, then will be scrolling.

First I need to know what is happening with memory when the game is running (game moving slow - progressive memory error I think).

See you next time. Thanks for everything.

PD: I want to do something with this project, may be then I'll continue another.

No problem, always glad to help :)

Can you provide detailed information about the memory error?
I see that occur in Demonio4, but in such situations?
After how long?
The information will help us understand what is wrong with the game and possibly Gemix.

Whatever name you give the project to us is okay :)

Mind with the project :)
CicTec

Postby xdios » Thu Nov 19, 2009 4:24 pm

Hi Sempiternam, you're welcome.

It's good to see new projects on english forum, may be the beginnig.

too much shoots for me in your game, :shock: i can't do anything whith demon :evil:

I think it is only a demo, isn't it?
[RETO]: Concurso navideño - [JUEGO]: La Fábrica de Regalos
xdios

Re: [GAME]: The Demon (Demonio) - Explaining development steps.

Postby Sempiternam » Thu Nov 19, 2009 8:50 pm

Hello people. Thanks to be here.

I’ll try to explain some basic working steps for projects like this.

First: To have an idea for a project. I wanted to do the Demon a mortal weapon inside a metropolis.

Second: To have some resources to begin working. I used screen captures taken from a game emulator for 16 bits Sega, Primal Rage (version from arcade) and some other games.

Third: To create a good code base. I wanted to do a good moving control for the Demon so I used on DIV2 an old code written on Pascal.

Fourth: Working on interaction. Some enemies were done and interaction with the Demon was next step. Some good points at this step: arithmetic functions for fire and other.

Fifth: Basic AI. This game must have some complex enemies to combat the Demon so I worked on each character to do their intelligence a different one. This is the actual step on this project (19 November 2009).

Next Step: Working on balance. Demon needs some chances to defeat each enemy and to fight with almost two or three at the same time. Some simple interaction effects will be needed.

Some other steps: To do a playable game, creating scrolling, creating a story and a goal for the Demon. Adding sound Fx, music and special visual Fx.

Then the game will be finished. (Always: Attention on each step to avoid errors)

Thanks to give me your answers. It will be great to see your support on each step.
Last edited by Sempiternam on Fri Nov 20, 2009 5:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sempiternam
Sempiternam

Postby CicTec » Thu Nov 19, 2009 9:23 pm

well, you've organized everything in detail, we will be careful in every step of development to test the game and send suggestions / ideas and opinions.

I wish you good job :)
CicTec

Re: [GAME]: The Demon (Demonio) - Explaining development steps.

Postby Dluk » Thu Nov 19, 2009 9:57 pm

Sempiternam wrote:Thanks to give me your answers. It will be great to see your support on each step.

You bet we'll be here to help you ;)

Dluk

Re: [GAME]: The Demon (Demonio) - Error detail

Postby Sempiternam » Sat Nov 21, 2009 10:11 pm

Hello people.
Here is the false error if found.

(Running Demonio4.PRG on Gemix)

GEMIX: Error en ejecución
ERROR_118: Hay demasiados textos activos en el programa.
PARAMETER: 1
VALUE: 0

Deleted code lines:
// write_int(0, 10, 10, 4, OFFSET x);
// write_int(0, 30, 10, 4, OFFSET y);
// write_int(0, 40, 20, 4, OFFSET Energia);

(Rerunning Demonio4.PRG: No errors)

Now Demonio4AI file is a perfect DIV2 'AI code' example for Gemix. The first post has the updated files (21 November 2009).

- Next Step: Game Balance -
Sempiternam
Sempiternam

Re: [GAME]: The Demon (Demonio) - Error detail

Postby CicTec » Sat Nov 21, 2009 11:02 pm

Sempiternam wrote:Hello people.
Here is the false error if found.

(Running Demonio4.PRG on Gemix)

GEMIX: Error en ejecución
ERROR_118: Hay demasiados textos activos en el programa.
PARAMETER: 1
VALUE: 0

Deleted code lines:
// write_int(0, 10, 10, 4, OFFSET x);
// write_int(0, 30, 10, 4, OFFSET y);
// write_int(0, 40, 20, 4, OFFSET Energia);

(Rerunning Demonio4.PRG: No errors)

Now Demonio4AI file is a perfect DIV2 'AI code' example for Gemix. The first post has the updated files (21 November 2009).

- Next Step: Game Balance -

Ohh, then this was the mistake...

actually this si an error of DIV2, because the texts with the same coordinates and properties were recreated, but worked well in DIV 1, some examples:

code executed on DIV 1
Code: Select all
program test;
begin
   repeat
      write(0, 160, 100, 4, "DIV"); // after 512 texts created DIV throw the runtime error 118, OK correct

frame;
   until(key(_esc));
end

code executed on DIV 2
program test;
begin
   repeat
      write(0, 160, 100, 4, "DIV"); // the text is recreated on each time, ERROR! this is wrong beaviour

frame;
   until(key(_esc));
end

As you can see the operation is different between DIV1 and DIV2, because DIV2 has a bug, the correct behaviour is like DIV1.

but in other languages this may be correct, so we decided to double implementation:
1 - the default behaviour is like DIV1: each call of WRITE's functions create a new text object
2 - using the new function SET_WRITE_BEHAVIOUR you can change the behavior as DIV2

So, this is how you can use on Gemix...

Default behaviour:
program test;
begin
   repeat
      write(0, 160, 100, 4, "Gemix"); // after 65536 texts created Gemix throw the runtime error 118, OK correct

frame;
   until(key(_esc));
end

Behaviour like DIV2
program test;
begin
   set_write_behaviour(wri_overwrite); // set the behaviour overwrite for texts with the same properties.

repeat
      write(0, 160, 100, 4, "Gemix"); // the text is recreated on each time (is not the best use, but OK)

frame;
   until(key(_esc));
end

As a final consideration, the most performant to use the texts is to create them out of the loops:
program test;
begin
   write_int(0, 160, 100, 4, &x); // the text is created one time (the best performance)

repeat
      x++; // the engine automatically update the text that use this variable with the new value

frame;
   until(key(_esc));
end

I hope you serve as an help for the creation of your games :)
CicTec

Postby Dluk » Sat Nov 21, 2009 11:08 pm

Nice, man! I'm glad this works now! I've tested it and it runs with no problems. Keep up the great work! :)

Regards

Dluk

PreviousNext

Return to WIP Projects